Opened July 16, 1950, the "Mardasson" celebrates the lasting friendship of the Belgian and American peoples, closely United by the victorious struggle they led during the battle of the bulge in December 44-January 45. The monument married the shape of a star with five long branches of 31 metres. Engraved in golden letters, the history of the battle of the salient is to read on the walls of the open gallery. On the promenade, located at the top and accessible by a spiral staircase, it allows to enjoy a panoramic view of discovering almost all defensive positions held during the siege of the city. Superbly ornate mosaics of the French artist Fernand Léger and fully excavated in the rock, the crypt contains the altars of the Catholic, protestant and Jewish faiths.
Rates : free
No guided tours.
Address: House of tourism of the country of Bastogne, Place McAuliffe, 6600 Bastenaken
Tel: 061/21 27 11 - fax: 061/21 27 25
<< Back to map